Wednesday, January 21, 2009

the morning after

Okay, so here’s the thing…

I woke up this morning with joy in my heart and feeling all kinds of cheerful. I mean, the Anointed One {Hallelujah!!! Amen! (Insert choral music here.) Happy days are here again!} was sworn in yesterday and I just knew that, despite His {Hallelujah!!! Amen! (Insert choral music here.) Happy days are here again!} admonition to the contrary, all would be right with the world sometime around noon.

Sitting here, drinking my coffee, waiting for the phone to ring (I’ve had my resume out there for months now and I know I must be near the top of the call list.), I couldn’t help but be enthused by the image of the country working together (again? now?). Like oxen in yoke, my mind’s eye could see us pulling in the same direction under the watchful benevolence of our now harmonious government. Even those uninformed Republicans must see the light of a new day this morning. I bet they’ll compromise their positions and join in.

And there is so much to be done! So much neglect to undo. Windmills to build, an electrical grid to restructure, roads to asphalt (Oops, my mistake; I mean rubberize – or whatever they call it when you rip up old tires and cover a road with them.), bridges to repair, trees to plant, guns to confiscate and destroy and recycle into .. ummm .. bridges, rivers and lakes to clean and stock, a terrible dividing wall to tear down (and recycle into bridges) so our neighbors to the south can join us… The list is endless!

I wonder what kind of government job is being created for me. The idea of receiving a living wage; the promise of government healthcare; access to the Congressional retirement plan; they just make me want to be a productive member of this great experiment once again!

Everyone will have government healthcare and a living wage will be the standard from now on. (Hmmm... I’ll bet they stop calling it a living wage. I mean, why bother when everyone will be getting it – no need to differentiate! Yeah!!!) As for retirement, well, even if I find myself in the private sector there is always Social Security. At least President Obama {Hallelujah!!! Amen! (Insert choral music here.) Happy days are here again!} will see to it that Social Security doesn’t collapse like Madoff’s Ponzi scheme.

Oh, I can’t wait until noon!

No comments: