Sunday, February 22, 2009

Leaders of Black Community infer President Obama is a monkey

Considering the controversy and who is pushing it to the forefront, there is no other logical conclusion.

As I pointed out the other day, Sean Delonas was obviously making reference to the adage that, given a typewriter and enough time, even a monkey will produce the Encyclopaedia Britannica. That being the case (I have seen nothing that would convince me otherwise), it is apparent that the so-called leaders of the Black Community are grasping at straws.

From all that I have read and heard, it is obvious the individuals who believe they are the true leaders of the Black Community are in a pitched battle with President Obama for control of that community.
  • The Rev. Al Sharpton apparently believes that all references to monkeys are references to "african-americans" and, as such, are racist. I guess that makes a, ummm, clown out of him.
  • Benjamin Jealous, President of the NAACP, apparently thinks the cartoon is a call to arms; a call to assasinate President Obama. While I can sympathize with any disappointment in the segment of the electorate that did not vote for Barack Obama, I certainly don't think any police officers are going to run down to D.C. with their guns blazing because of this cartoon.
  • Director Spike Lee apparently believes that his call for a boycott of the NY Post will somehow impact the right-of-center paper. Yeah, right. My guess would be that the Post's circulation will, at a minimum, take a temporary "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" jump.

My guess (well, it has to be a guess since I am certainly not an insider when it comes to the Black Community) is that President Obama isn't 'left' enough for those who have heretofore been considered the leaders of the Black Community and this is their attempt to make themselves relevant. In the past they have always screamed "Racism!" to sieze the spotlight, but that is a little more difficult since our president is not white.

No comments: